[Flac-dev] Idea to possibly improve flac?

Markus Ewald cygon at nuclex.org
Fri Jan 7 14:59:26 PST 2011

  On 1/7/2011 11:42 PM, Jørgen Vigdal wrote:
> Hi Brian.
>
> I also agree with you on these points you mention. If you guys are familiar on how the piracy groups work on the internet, you are aware that they have "releases" with their names on it. In the piracy "scene", some groups are competing on getting the first release out, and could only be beaten by another group releasing another higher quality release. Some groups (or even individuals) are releasing their stuff that is being "ripped off" another release, and they transcode the original release (mp3 320kbps for example) to a flac release (that really isn't a flac).
>
> Some of these groups or individuals are young people, tinking that they know everything. My idea was based on this. It would be fun stopping this, and also, as you mention in your answer, having fun and experimenting with the flac code.

... that really sucks. Pirates giving a genuinely great codec a bad name
because of the way their ecosystem promotes treachery. Though I wonder
if they wouldn't self-regulate by requiring EAC .logs or something like
that?

I think an simple tool that is run on existing FLAC files and gives a
clear good/bad answer (perhaps with a probability to remain fair) could
spread like wildfire amongst audiophiles if publicized in the right
channels.

> Thanks,
>
> J.
-Markus-