[Flac-dev] Define channel order for 7 and 8 channels

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Nov 9 19:49:42 PST 2010

Ricardo <wiiaboo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Why aren't the channel orders/mappings for 7 and 8 channels defined in the
> specification?

Why do you think they should be?  What
advantage would this give?  Also, I don't
believe it is only 7 and 8 channel mappings
that are undefined in FLAC.  I don't see
a mapping for *any* number of channels.

At the moment, the channel order/mapping on
output are the same as on input.  This means
that you can use any mapping you feel is
appropriate.  To see a list of mappings which
have been specified elsewhere, visit:
http://wiki.xiph.org/Channel_mapping_examples

Scroll down to near the bottom for 7.1 and 8.0
mappings.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org