[Flac-dev] Updating metadata while encoding

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Fri May 28 07:38:11 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am working on an application which records directly into a FLAC file. For this
purpose I'm using the FLAC stream encoder interface.

It works fine, but if my application is killed during encoding, the metadata is
not being updated since the file isn't closed properly by calling
FLAC__stream_encoder_finish().

Thus when opening the file afterwards for playback, it is possible to decode
audio data but the FLAC__StreamMetadata.data.stream_info.total_samples field is
equals to zero.

This is a true problem because it looks like data loss to the user, especially
if he/she's been recording for hours...

So I'm looking for a way to update the metadata periodically during encoding,
before calling FLAC__stream_encoder_finish().

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

--
  Olivier