[Flac-dev] FLAC C API / Visual Studio 2008 FILE* Issue

JonY jon_y at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 6 04:09:17 PST 2010

On 1/6/2010 18:53, Stuart Fisher wrote:
> I haven't done any FLAC development for some time now, but I've around 25 years experience of working with libc and I don't really agree with Ben's view.
>
> You're talking about a binary compatibility issue and I'd be surprised if Microsoft had changed something in the library to break it. OS companies usually only break binary compatibility if they absolutely have to. Having said that, one of the things that is putting me off upgrading to Windows 7 is the fact they have felt the need to include some sort of "Windows XP emulator". Yes I'm still on Windows XP!!
>
>> From what you've said I think you're right that the error is somewhere else.
>
> Stuart

Hi,

Ben is likely talking about various versions of the MS runtime.
MSVCRT.DLL != MSVCR90.DLL != MSVCR80.dll and so on.

Only MSVCRT.DLL, that comes with nearly all win32 machines needs to
maintain backwards ABI compatibility across different versions.

MSVC2008 uses MSVCR90.DLL, so it doesn't need to maintain ABI
compatibility with MSVCRT.DLL.