[Flac-dev] Decoded files identical, encoded files different (linux vs win encoder)

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Fri Feb 12 19:28:27 PST 2010

grarpamp wrote:

> Certainly flac should produce the same files cross platform.
> Failing any other explanation, try bad ram, it bit me before and
> flac was where I first noticed it. Now I test all new/flaky machines.

Since the two files decoded to the same output file I think this
is an unlikey explanation.

It is ver much more likely that the windows and linux FPU flag
settings are slightly different so that that encoding process:

   http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_format_overview.html

results in different encoded data, but the fact that FLAC is lossless
means the output is still the same.

Erik