[Flac-dev] General status of flac

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 21:37:17 PST 2009

--- On Sun, 9/20/09, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Flac-dev] General status of flac
> To: flac-dev at xiph.org
> Date: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 8:30 PM
> >> used it forever anyways and
> haven't seen a commit since January nor
> >> a release since 2007...
>
> >  what's queued up for the next release, see
>
> http://flac.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/flac/flac/doc/html/changelog.html
>
> Hmm interesting, so given the above timeframes, should one
> presume
> that cvs head is indeed stable/release quality and that
> it's an ok
> thing to use?
>
> My scripts save the input wav md5's/sha256's and run flac in pipe decode
> mode before nuking the wav's as a sanity check anyways.  Only problem
> I ever had was that flac served as a pretty good bad ram detector :) I suppose
> I should put head through it's make test thing.

there have not been any fundamental changes to the encoding algorithm.
the only real change that might introduce problems is the rf64/wave64
stuff which required reorganization in the flac commandline, and
there's a remote possibility there is some unexposed bug due to that.
I routinely run the whole test suite before major checkins and have
not found anything so far.  if you do a separate decode to wav and
then compare, you are quite safe.

it looks like I won't be able to get to an official release until I
take some time off my day job.