[Flac-dev] Support for CAF in flac command-line?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon Oct 13 15:12:59 PDT 2008

RF64 support sure would be nice, but it wouldn't really help to do
this "instead of" CAF.  For one thing, Logic Studio Pro does not seem
to support RF64, because the manual states that WAVE and BWF are
limited to 4 GB.  CAF may be a format which lacks universal support,
but RF64 is also very limited in usefulness.  Treating either one as
a substitute for the other is not going to help.

Personally, I'd welcome support for either or both.  With an open-
source project like this, I'm not going to complain about any added
features, so long as we all understand that there is no substitute
for CAF.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Whats more, the sndfile-convert program can also convert
> from FLAC to the following file formats that support 63 bit
> file offsets:
>
>    Au, Caf, rf64, w64

I am glad somebody mentioned RF64.
Supporting RF64 instead of CAF would solve
Brian's problem equally well, and would be the
natural extension to supporting WAVE.

Regards,
Martin