[Flac-dev] Support for CAF in flac command-line?

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 22:27:47 PDT 2008

> Thanks for the interest, Michael.

I hope I really can be of help.

> I don't use Ogg, so I'm a little wary that standard FLAC would be
> left out of any Ogg Frog implementation.

Ogg Frog already supports native FLAC as a player.  Version 1.0 will
only support playing and decoding, but version 1.1 will support
encoding, and I'll be sure to support FLAC with and without Ogg.

I must hasten to point out that I don't offer any downloads yet - the
UI is in a very primitive state.

>  My hunch is that Apple does not want to encumber
> the format, but I'll let their public documents speak for them.  In
> any event, it's a very good issue to be aware of from the start.

I'm afraid AAC (MPEG-4 audio) has many, many patents. Unlike MP3, one
cannot even distribute the binary of an Open Source player.  AAC
stands for Apple Audio Codec - it's their lossy codec.

> Thanks again for the comments, and be sure to keep us informed if you
> do anything.

Of course.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   Enjoy my art, photography, music and writing at
http://www.geometricvisions.com/
        --- Free Compact Disc ---