[Flac-dev] Mac OS X Intel assembly

Richard Ash richard at audacityteam.org
Sat Mar 22 10:04:07 PDT 2008

Flac uses assembly code to improve performance for ix86 processors. This
works under Linux, BSD and Windows, but not Mac OS X, because there is
no support for creating Mach-O format binaries (the native binary format
for OS X systems). The attached patch provides the necessary support to
create ASM-optimised Mach-O binaries.

This wasn't created by me but was sent to the audacity-devel list (I
think by Matthew Sachs <matthewg at zevils.com>) as a patch against 1.1.2,
then tweaked to apply to the 1.2.1 release.

There is also a problem with text relocation's in the assembly binary,
which require an executable stack on ELF system. Gentoo has a patch to
resolve the problem on their build which seems to work. I can't see
anything relevant in the Sourceforge tracker on these two issues, but I
may be wrong.

Richard Ash