[Flac-dev] wav to flac corruption

Matthew Davis zasdarq at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:57:56 PST 2008

So some research and experimentation I think I found the problem, but I'm
not sure how to go about fixing it.

If I import one of the wav files into Audacity then export them as "16 bit
PCM" then they encode to flac and play fine. The files bitrates are
currently at 24. If I export them from audacity as a 24 or 32 (anything
higher than 16), flac fails on me. With a bitrate of 24, the file is encoded
but won't play. With a bitrate of 32, flac says it can't do it.

Questions in no particular order:
1) I assume converting from 24 bits to 16 bits results in a loss of
information, right?
2) Is there a faster way to convert rather than going in and out of
audacity.
3) Is there a way to make 24 bit files work with flac?

Thank you again,
Matthew