[Flac-dev] Support .cda as input files

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Tue Sep 18 18:15:37 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-19, Stephen wrote:
> > I think that what I actually want is for the operating systems to
> > use .flac nstead. Similar to what Mac OS X does with .aiff. This should
> > probably have been posted in the advocacy emailing list instead.
>
> This is an interesting idea. There already is a FUSE filesystem
> called mp3fs (http://mp3fs.sourceforge.net/) which can dynamically
> transcode files from FLAC to MP3.  Perhaps someone should write flacfs?
>
> The challenge for using FLAC would be to determine/predict/estimate
> the FLAC file size in advance.  Technical difficulties aside, I think
> the idea of popping in a CD and having the files show up as FLAC
> would be an appealing one to users.

Apples does it with .aiff. So it is not impossible.

I guess the tracks would not have any compression for this process to be as
smooth as possible.

(Stephen, I keep bumping into your name everywhere since I last emailed you
last time. I think the web is really getting smaller.)
--
Daniel Aleksandersen