[Flac-dev] Compile problems on OSX

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 11:39:52 PDT 2007

--- Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-flac at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got two problems compiling the current CVS FLAC sources on OSX.
>
> Firstly, the configure script can't find the OGG libraries which were
> installed from MacPorts. I have tried:
>
>     ./configure --with-ogg-includes=/opt/local/include \
>            --with-ogg-lib=/opt/local/lib
>
> but they are still not found. I notice that in configure.in, you use
> a macro called XIPH_PATH_OGG. Is there any reason you don't use the
> PKG_CHECK_MODULES mcaro which uses pkg-config underneath? For my
> system pkg-config does the right thing:
>
>     > pkg-config --cflags --libs ogg
>     -I/opt/local/include  -L/opt/local/lib -logg
>
> I will put together a patch for this is you are interested.

the main reason I haven't swtiched is I'm not up on pkgconfig
and XIPTH_PATH_OGG has been working pretty well... can you tell
why it's not working for you?

I'm always hesitant to mess with things in configure.in because
is such whack-a-mole problem (fixes things for some people and
breaks for others).

> Second problem is that I get a compile error when FLAC__HAS_OGG is 0
> in src/flac/decode.c:
>
>     decode.c:393: error: 'options' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
>
> The code in question is this:
>
>     #if FLAC__HAS_OGG
>         if(decoder_session->is_ogg) {
>             /* Some code here. */
>         }
>         else
>     #else
>         (void)decode_options;
>     #endif
>         {
>             /* More code. */
>         }

yes, this is fixed in cvs.  actually I'll probably be doing a
release soon and I'd be interested to know if the latest stuff
works for you.

> The problem here is that conditional compiles can hide bugs. The code
> above
> re-written to turn a conditional compile into an always compiled if
> statement
> which will trigger the error regardless of the value of
> FLAC__HAS_OGG:
>
>         if(FLAC__HAS_OGG && decoder_session->is_ogg) {
>             /* Some code here. */
>         }
>         else
>         {
>             (void)decode_options;
>             /* More code. */
>         }

interesting idea, hadn't thought of that.