[Flac-dev] Re: multiple core support

Scot Thompson scot.thompson at cox.net
Sat Sep 8 08:48:39 PDT 2007

No, streams should stay.  Audio is NOT a file based process -- it's a
stream.  You can't listen to an entire song simultaneously.  You organize it
into files for later use, but you listen and record from a stream.
Stream-based storage is practically REQUIRED for an audio codec.  It's not
random access, it's sequential.  You can put wrappers around it to make it
convenient for file storage and conversions, but the codec itself must be
streams.

Multi-core support may not be practical for a variable-length encoding.  How
would you know where to write the next block when you don't know what size
the first block is going to be?  The functionality for that is not trivial
and is not currently implemented in the API.

Maybe somebody will write a multi-core file-based wrapper for you, or maybe
you could try writing one yourself.  Or if you disagree with Josh about the
direction of FLAC you can write your own codec.  But your nattering on and
on about how you think the API isn't right doesn't help at all and is very
annoying.

  _____