[Flac-dev] Re: multiple core support

Harry Sack tranzedude at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 06:02:26 PDT 2007

2007/9/8, Josh Coalson <xflac at yahoo.com>:

> it actually is complicated.  the libFLAC api is not suited to a
> multithreaded design because the i/o is stream-based, not file-
> based.  flac(.exe) is the file-based wrapper around libFLAC that
> allows it to work on files.  the way libFLAC buffers data is also
> impossible to parallelize without significantly changing the api.

why was this approach used? The API design seems to me not very smart
because it's not flexible and you're stuck in the future (like now for
multiple core support)
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't make it all based on files and not
on streams :s It's just a major disavantage in my opinion

it would take a specialty file-based encoder using an independent
> frame encoder to do and even that is not trivial.

so we can assume that those API changes will never come and the flac encoder
will never have multiple core support?

thx