[Flac-dev] FLAC codec in OS X Leopard

Stephen F. Booth me at sbooth.org
Wed Nov 14 08:55:25 PST 2007

I upgraded to Leopard (version 10.5 of OS X) a few weeks ago.
Although I was a bit disappointed, but not surprised, to see that FLAC
support isn't built natively into the OS, I was very happy to notice
recently that Apple ships source code for a FLAC encoder and decoder
codec component in /Developer/Examples/CoreAudio/AudioCodecs/
FLAC.xcodeproj.

All that is necessary to build the codec is to download the latest
FLAC source code, copy it into the project tree, #define VERSION
appropriately, and build it.  Once installed this allows Core Audio
aware applications to encode and decode FLAC in a CAF container.  I
think this is superior to the XiphQT components because it doesn't
require any external frameworks to be installed, and it allows
encoding.  I've posted a screenshot of QuickTime's standard audio
configuration dialog at http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5231/picture1uz9.png
  showing the available FLAC encoding options.

I think a great next step would be to write an AudioFileComponent to
add native FLAC file support.  An AudioFile component coupled with the
FLAC codec component would automatically bring native FLAC support to
any Core Audio-enabled application!

Apple's license for the sample code allows it to be distributed in
source or binary form- it would be trivial to package up the compiled
codec for redistribution, if people feel that's something worth doing.

Stephen