[Flac-dev] compression ratio

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 12:12:27 PDT 2007

--- Harry Sack <tranzedude at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> i was wondering if it's possible to tell me what the theoretical best
> compression ratio the flac encoder can do, because i was wondering
> what the future of flac will bring us. So this question is probably
> best addressed to Josh: can we suspect much better compression ratio
> in the future or is the encoder already at his *almost* peak
> compression level.

I think you're talking about average compression ratio because it
depends on the particular sample.  to make significant improvements
(>3%) would require changes to the format that wouldn't work with
older decoders, which I don't plan on ever doing.

if you look at the comparison here:
  http://flac.sourceforge.net/comparison.html
you will see that FLAC is already within 3-4% of the most aggresive
codecs.

Josh

____________________________________________________________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.