[Flac-dev] Re: FLAC: same features as WavPack

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Sat Mar 31 13:21:30 PDT 2007

Hi Justin,

FLAC is not just a specification.  FLAC is both a specification and a
reference implementation.

I recall that the sample bits must be low-aligned, not high-aligned
as I would have normally assumed.  I haven't looked back at the spec
or my source code to confirm my memory, though.

I've just been able to reproduce the problem with a file from Josh
Green.  I have yet to analyze the samples, but the problem is not
specific to AIFF or WAV formats.  Unfortunately, this indicates that
both libFLAC and the flac command-line tool are broken, so there
isn't any way to look at the flac command-line source to find a way
around the problem.

Sorry to come across as defensive.  I guess I let the fact that I've
sent a hundred different 24-bit files through FLAC without ever
seeing this problem lead me to assume that it was a crusty old issue
which hadn't been reproduced.  From my point of view, it was starting
to sound a lot like a rumor.  But now we may be getting to the bottom
of this.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting