[Flac-dev] FLAC 24 bit test

Josh Green josh at resonance.org
Sat Mar 31 11:48:12 PDT 2007

I put together a 24 bit audio test which results in rather poor
performance by FLAC on my system.  Hopefully this test can help to
determine if the problem exists for all users of FLAC or only in regards
to certain combinations of hardware and/or software.

http://resonance.org/~josh/flactest/

For those who wish to take part in the test, download the 3 wav files
and compress them using flac 1.1.4.

Send the results to me personally to keep down on list traffic.  I'll
post a summary at some point in the near future.

Please provide the following information:
- File sizes of the resulting FLAC files (or just indicate they are the
same if so)
- Operating system and distribution (if Linux)
- FLAC version (please test with 1.1.4 though if not too much trouble)
- Compiler and version

Summary of test:

24 bit audio file increased to 100.6% of the original size when
compressed with FLAC, but compressed to 87.1% with Wavpack.

FLAC and Wavpack compressed the 16 bit and 16/24 bit converted files of
about relatively the same percentage.

A file size increase was seen from FLAC version 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 in
regards to the 16 bit and 16/24 converted files (not related to the 24
bit issue though).

Best regards,
	Josh Green