[Flac-dev] Re: FLAC: same features as WavPack

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Fri Mar 30 14:11:43 PDT 2007

Hi Justin,

Are you saying that 24-bit support does not work for you?  Which
version of FLAC are you using?  What platform?  What kind of files
are you trying to compress?

I am not any kind of official spokesperson for FLAC, but this alleged
report about 24-bit problems surfaced in Aug 2006.  However, I have
been successfully using 24-bit FLAC since June of 2004, and I have
never seen a single problem.  The largest FLAC-compressed files are
69% of the original 24-bit file, and I have never seen one end up
larger than the original.  In other words, I have never been able to
reproduce the problem.  I have recorded about 90 live shows in 24-bit
format, up to 18 channels multitrack, and have successfully
compressed over 75 GB of 24-bit audio with absolutely no errors.

Why would you tell people to use WavPack when FLAC is flawless?

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

On Mar 30, 2007, at 11:34, Justin Frankel wrote:
> 2007/3/29, Brian Willoughby <brianw at sounds.wa.com
> <mailto:brianw at sounds.wa.com>>:
>     There actually is no problem with 24-bit support, as I stated
>     earlier.  So before people start chiming in with "me too" - I'd
>     like to request that you actually say what problem you're seeing,
>     along with a few details.  Let's not start a rumor fest here.

I actually joined this list because I wanted to see if this problem
could be addressed... oh well we just tell people to use WavPack...

-Justin