[Flac-dev] Code for Ambisonics

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Fri Mar 23 01:45:12 PDT 2007

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the clarification.  I've been curious about ambisonic
recording, and am surprised that I did not recognize your name from
materials I downloaded last month.

I suggest that it would be simple to devise some application-specific
metadata for FLAC, using the METADATA_BLOCK_APPLICATION described at
http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html
You can register an application ID such as 'Ambi' and then devise a
few subtypes.  A "peak" metadata type should probably be added to
FLAC independently of any Ambisonic extensions, simply because that
metadata would certainly be useful outside of ambisonics.  Basically,
FLAC is just as extensible as WAVE-EX, so all is needed is to devise
a good standard to get things started.  Ogg FLAC embeds the FLAC
metadata, so it should work similarly.

I am willing to review any proposals.  In fact, I would be very
interested to be involved in this.  I suppose Josh may have some
comments.  I'm not sure how much the application-specific metadata
extensions have been taken advantage of for FLAC, so Josh may want to
set some guidelines, as this may be a first.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

P.S.  Personally, I think it would be better to extend FLAC with a
little channelization metadata, rather than extend RIFF/WAVE to
contain FLAC-compressed data.  RIFF/WAVE has several shortcomings
that AIFF does not suffer.  Further, FLAC has already been contained
within Ogg, which I believe has met with minimal usage.  It's
probably easier to use FLAC for Ambisonic, even if the new metadata
is missing, than to use RIFF/WAVE for FLAC-compressed audio.  Sorry
if this is stating the obvious.