[Flac-dev] Code for Ambisonics

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Thu Mar 22 14:38:05 PDT 2007

Martin,

I do not believe that there is any need for code specifically
supporting Ambisonics.  FLAC supports conversion to and from other
audio formats which hold multiple channels.  Ambisonics B-format
involves channels WXYZ, C-format is UHJ or BHJ, G-Format can be any
number of channels, but typically 5.1 on DVD.  You can work with
Ambisonic recordings by either using individual mono files for each
of the Ambisonic channels, or by using a 4-channel or 6-channel
AIFF.  All of these files can be compressed into FLAC and expanded
again without loss.

While FLAC does some special treatment of 2-channel files to detect
correlation, this should not interfere with Ambisonic content.
Ambisonics has much in common with mid-side encoding of dimensional
recordings, and FLAC with automatically detect the most efficient
compression based on any correlation.  For this reason, you might
find smaller files with multiple stereo pairs (e.g. WX & YZ) instead
of multiple mono files or a massive 4-channel file.

But to return to your question, exactly what kind of "support" are
you looking for?
Where is your Ambisonic material coming from?
What format are the files?  By format, I am asking primarily what the
file format is (RIFF/WAV, AIFF, other), but also which Ambisonic
"format" among B-format, C-format, or G-format.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting