[Flac-dev] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal for Discussion: LICENSE and COPYRIGHT tags on Vorbis Comments

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Jul 7 17:46:36 PDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 01:13:40AM +0100, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> This proposal states two new tags, LICENSE and COPYRIGHT.

These are not new tags. They have been part of the recommended
interoperability set for years, and are the standard way of
flagging such information in ogg files. Hopefully you can find your
chat partner and let them know!

> The LICENSE tag must store an URI pointing to the relevant license
> documentation.

The current recommendation is more general. Maybe we should amend it to
suggest including a URL for machinability.

> The COPYRIGHT tag must store the name of the authoring person or
> entity. A date should not be stored here, as a DATE tag already
> exists.
>
> Example:
> COPYRIGHT=Xiph.Org Foundation

A full statement is also acceptable:
COPYRIGHT=Copyright (C) 2007 Your Records, Ltd.  All rights reserved.

> I would like to hear from those who agree and disagree with this proposal.

I think it's a good idea. Tool support could be better though. :)

 -r