[Flac-dev] Is FLAC fully cooked for OS X yet?

Evan Olcott ev at audiofile-engineering.com
Mon Jan 1 18:59:11 PST 2007

OK, so I've been trying for a day now to get FLAC implementation in
our apps. Suffice it to say that due to the "interesting"
documentation and the inability to compile this thing from the
source, I'm not sure we can do it yet. I am writing in to see if
there's anything I'm missing before I make the conclusion that we
have to wait...

---

We write apps for OS X, and we're fully Universal, so we need to
really make these OS X frameworks. I nudged around and I found a pre-
built FLAC.framework inside some Xiph installer somewhere, so I based
some of my work on that.

There are a few files called seekable_stream_encoder and file_encoder
that have headers and seem to be ready to use, but it seems like
their buffer usage is incorrect in my experiments. I go further to
find that - hey - there's no real documentation for these files, and
they don't even exist in the repository! Are they beta? Are they not
fully formed? Why are they here if they don't work?

Knowing that wasn't working, I downloaded the XCode project from a
link on the mailing list, only to find that these "uncooked" files
*exist in the XCode project*, but cannot be actually found anywhere!

So I take the files out and try to compile the XCode project as it is
- and it gives all sorts of link errors trying to find
FLAC__window_... calls, which cannot seem to be found in ANY of the
files in the repository...

What the heck is going on here? Do we have to wait for a bit to get
this thing settled?

Ev
Technical Knowledge Officer
Head Programmer/Designer