[Flac-dev] FLAC 24 bit test results

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 8 15:29:40 PDT 2007

sorry about the delay in responding.  Miroslav basically described
the problem correctly, 24-bit samples with a lot of noise will
require a rice parameter larger than FLAC supports, so it will punt
and use VERBATIM subframes.  the escape parameter will help a bit
but is not a good long term solution.

the proper fix is to increase the possible size of the rice parameter
in a backward-compatible way and I have already done this months ago,
but I am still working with all the hardware vendors to ensure there
are no problems for users because it requires a change to the decoder.
the next flac release will have the change in the decoder but I am
holding off the encoder release until hardware makers are up to date.
this should not be too long as very few support 24bps.

so, short answer, the fix is in progress.