[Flac-dev] En/decoding 32bit Integer Formats

taktik taktik at renoise.com
Fri Sep 1 05:08:08 PDT 2006

Hi,

What exactly is the reason why libFlac and/or the FLAC command-line
en/decoder currently
doesn't support 32bit integer samples?

The comment in "FLAC/format.h" -> of
FLAC__REFERENCE_CODEC_MAX_BITS_PER_SAMPLE notes that
the FLAC format supports 32bit, but the reference en/decoders
currently do not. Does
this mean that libFlac or just the commandline tool is limited to 24
bit?

We would love to use FLAC as a total replacement for WAV files in our
product (in exported song
and instrument content), but really need to have 32bit support, as
our internal sample format
is 32 bit.
I already hackily tried to change
FLAC__REFERENCE_CODEC_MAX_BITS_PER_SAMPLE to 32u and ran
some tests using libFlac. All seemed to work well, so this limitation
is maybe (no longer?)
needed?

Greets,
eduard