[Flac-dev] Building a Rice Encoder/Decoder from FLAC

Mary Amon mary.amon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 16:17:41 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I am interested in building a stand alone Rice Encoder/Decoder, using FLAC
source code as a starting point.  I've read the theory behind it, and I am
very interested in info theory.  However,  I am struggling with how exactly
I would implement the theory in code.  I'm a newbie to computer science
(only 1 year experience). I have read the format and documentation links on
the FLAC website, as well as the archives of the mailing list...and I
haven't found anyone doing something similar.  I am new to doxygen and have
never read or written anything as large as FLAC before.   Right now, I am
looking in the src code of libFLAC, (I am looking through stream_encoder.c
in libFLAC src code), but its really confusing to someone who just learned
what ./configure meant today.

So any help in where I can find where the Rice encoder/decoder is
implemented in the code (in libFLAC or libFLAC++) would be super helpful.

-Mary

P.S.  I totally appreciate the very clean code and documentation!  It's
making the learning much less painful than I think it could be.