[Flac-dev] question regarding compression %

gidluck at alltel.net gidluck at alltel.net
Tue Sep 27 09:54:56 PDT 2005

Hi Josh,
I made some choices for the encoder based upon how quickly the pocket pc could convert files. I think that I chose flac -0 because of this and also I think that I may have increased the buffer already to 4608.

However, I will do some additional testing.

The cpu's used are in the ARM family. Xscale (PXA255) as found on the hp 5100/5500 series and 2200 series.

The best performer right now is the Dell X50v 624mHz(PXA270), again same processor family.

Because this is programmed I/O, media writes contribute largely to cpu utilization. FLAC helps, but it is a trade-off between lowering the amount of data written and the increased cpu requirements for conversion.

Gordon