[Flac-dev] flac-1.1.2 configure and Makefile fixes

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 14 14:29:13 PST 2005

Chris Csanady wrote:
>>+test "$AS" = "as" && as --version | grep GNU >/dev/null && AS=gas
>

> The above does not work quite as expected due to several issues.  First of
> all, configure will hang as the apple as expects input on stdin if no
> source file is
> specified.

just enough feed it with a conftest then?

> Also, the version version flag is -v; though it will print
> the version
> when it doesn't understand the --version flag, it uses stderr, so the
> grep doesn't
> see it.  The last issue is that both the apple and gnu as have GNU in
> the version:
>
> % as -v
> Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-525.obj~1, GNU assembler version 1.38
So is enough to do
test "$AS" = "as" && as --version emptyfile | grep GNU >/dev/null && AS=gas
and the best would be to have a correct conftest.s

> One problem not addressed is that some linux distributions (maybe not ppc)
> have no gas binary, only gas is installed as as.  In this case, the AS=gas would
> not be right, but the hard coded binary name in the ppc/gas/Makefile.am would
> prevent it from working anyway.
You are right, and to my knowledge no distributions ad "gas" for the
executable name.

> Chris

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Manager
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero