[Flac-dev] Apple's Core Audio File container format

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-flac at mega-nerd.com
Mon Jul 11 17:47:20 PDT 2005

Hi all,

It hasn't really been publicized much yet, but Apple has a new
container file format called CAF:

   http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MusicAudio/Reference/CAFSpec/

CAF files current support integer and float PCM formats, A-law,
u-law and a number of others including AAC and Apple's own Apple
Lossless Audio Codec (alac).

I have already implemented support for what I can (PCM, A-law,
u-law) in a libsndfile pre-release:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/libsndfile-1.0.12pre10.tar.gz

and I'm thinking of adding support for FLAC in a CAF container
as well. Is anyone else working on this? If so please let me
know so we can agree on how FLAC should be contained with CAF.

Cheers,
Erik