[Flac-dev] A couple of points about flac 1.1.1 on ppc/linux/altivec

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Wed Jan 26 12:37:57 PST 2005

Josh Coalson wrote:
> --- Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>>Josh Coalson wrote:
>>
>>>since I don't know how to resolve this, in current CVS I have
>>>checked in a system where there are src/libFLAC/ppc/as and
>>>src/libFLAC/ppc/gas selected by configure.  I have also checked
>>>in as many patches as I could make sense of (the cpu.c detection
>>>stuff and the configure.in stuff).  can you guys take a look at
>>>current CVS and help me get something that will build both ways?
>>>after that it will be much easier for me to start looking at
>>>correctness.
>>
>>There is a problem: the AC_CHECK_PROGS() just tests existence and I'm
>>
>>afraid both osx and linux/ppc have both as and gas executables.
>>running the configure as is will always turn on the "as" path.
>>--with-gas doesn't work to force it.
>>Probably a version check could help.
>

> how about this logic:
>
> if cpu is ppc
>   if as exists
>     if as is apple version
>       use as
>     else if as is gnu version
>       use as to assemble but src/libFLAC/ppc/gas directory
>     else
>       no asm
>   else if gas exists
>     use gas
>   else
>     no asm

Seems working to me
> ?
>
> could you also send me version strings for your versions of
> as/gas for whatever combination of PPC,OS that you have?

as (gnu as) is provided by binutils.

as --version
GNU assembler 2.15.90.0.3 20040415
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu'.

I hope it helps

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Manager
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero