[Flac-dev] A couple of points about flac 1.1.1 on ppc/linux/altivec

Brady Patterson brady at spaceship.com
Sat Jan 29 06:40:21 PST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, John Steele Scott wrote:
> That looks fine to me as well. However, the best solution is something which
> Luca suggested a few months ago, which is to use the functions defined in
> altivec.h. These are C functions which map directly to Altivec machine
> instructions. I am willing to help out, but I don't find the current lpc_asm.s
> very easy to follow, and my time is quite limited (my last patch to a free
> software project took almost three months to get into decent shape!).

Is this still my code? IIRC I commented it extensively, but the structure is
certainly non-intuitive.

I'll take a look at it. At the time, I thought I wanted control logic that was
impossible in C, but that may not be the case. It didn't occur to me that Linux
and Apple would use different assemblers; elsewhere Apple uses the GNU tools.
I'm also a bit surprised that people are using flac on an Altivecful Linux/PPC
system (but I did attempt for such a system to fall back to the non-altivec C
code). End digression.

Can you point me to a good reference on altivec.h?

--
Brady Patterson (brady at spaceship.com)
RLRR LRLL RLLR LRRL RRLR LLRL