[Flac-dev] liboggflac1 soname

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Jan 9 18:57:35 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:22:18AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Well, if something built against 1.0.4 can (even in corner cases)
> malfunction with 1.1.1, then yes, it must be 2:1:0.  This holds true to
> the soname of the C++ libs too if changes on the underlying C libraries are
> somehow exported through the C++ ones.

Ok. One more time.

liboggflac FROM THE 1.0.4 RELEASE has version-info 0:1:0

liboggflac FROM THE 1.1.1 RELEASE has version-info 2:1:1

That means current-age for the 1.1.1 liboggflac is 1. That means
IT WILL NOT BE DYNAMICALLY LINKED to an application built against
1.0.4. THERE IS NO CONFLICT between these two versions.

I don't see an upstream bug here, so if you're trying to report one
you're going to have to be more explicit or I'm not going to be able
to help you. I do appreciate the review of the always confusing
library versioning scheme, but unfortunately it hasn't revealed
any holes in my previous understanding.

If, in fact, the underlying C library is somehow exposed in
liboggflac++ then, as you suggest, we do have a problem there.
Again, I need an authoritative statement if you want something
done upstream.

 -r