[Flac-dev] liboggflac1 soname

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Jan 9 10:56:09 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:44:16AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> I am holding TiMidity in the current [broken] state until we get the new
> upstream with the soname fixes. I hope it is released very soon :(

Are we talking about the library's soname, or the debian package name?
I compared the 1.1.1 release with 1.0.4, which I think was the last
stable version. The version-info increments acceptably between the two
releases, from 0:1:0 to 2:1:1. Obviously revision hasn't always been
incremented properly, at the very least, and I don't know when we went
throught current=1.

Is the debian mismatch based on a release between these too? Should
flac-1.1.1 release have been 2:1:0? In either case, it seems rebuilding
all the packages against the 1.1.1 library should resolve the issue?

> BTW, since the mess is already big enough, please do a sanity check on the
> c++ bindings too.  Maybe they ought to change the soname to keep in sync
> with the c libs they depend on ?

I don't know C++ well enough to evaluate ABI compatibility. The version-
info for libOggFLAC++ moved from 0:1:0 to 1:1:1 between 1.0.4 and 1.1.1.

Can someone else comment on this?

 -r

(not a flac developer, just trying to be helpful.)