[Flac-dev] Bug Report. Replay-gain and ogg.

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Thu Feb 3 07:17:22 PST 2005

I just bought an I Audio mobile device (Btw, these thigns are the
coolest players on the face of the earth.. might want to check em out).
It plays ogg vorbis files rather nicely. My whole music library is
sitting in flac format. When I encoded my flac files (the majority a
year ago) I used replay gain to save the album and track information if
the flac file.

Unfortunately, the I audio doesnt like the replay gain headers (I'm
submitting a bug report over there to get this fixed). So, my only
option right now is to use vorbisgain to strip the replay info out of
the ogg file thats generated when i use oggenc to cross code from flac
to ogg vorbis (oggenc correctly transfers the replay gain tags over to
the ogg file... and vorbis gain can strip them out of the ogg file).

I played with vorbis gain a bit and realized that I saved my flac files
in flacs native wrapper. For fun I decoded a flac file, and rencoded it
using --ogg --replay-gain so I could then use vorbis gain to manipulate
a flac/ogg file directly. Yes, I know it doesnt have much to do with my
problem but I was jsut playing around trying to decide maybe if I should
recontainer from native flac to ogg.

Anyways, this is the output:

flac --best --replay-gain --ogg test.wav

flac 1.1.1, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for
details.

test.wav: wrote 42639100 bytes, ratio=0.675
test.ogg: ERROR writing ReplayGain title tags
test.ogg: ERROR writing ReplayGain album tags

So basicly ogg and replay gain arent playing nice.

Using flac 1.1.1 btw.
--
Wayde Milas
Rarcoa