[Flac-dev] Quicktime + FLAC?

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Sep 28 13:08:38 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:29:44PM -0700, Dave Peck wrote:

> My understanding is that iTunes uses QuickTime for playback; does anyone
> know where to find a FLAC codec for QuickTime?

I believe it's more accurate to say iTunes can fall back to QuickTime to
play unknown formats. One story has it they had to work around the same
bugs in QT that kept the vorbis component from working for so long.
Another is just that the original app Apple bought and turned into
iTunes wasn't quicktime-based.

> I noticed that there was some discussion about this ~1 year ago on flac-dev.
> Did any dev projects get underway, or should I roll up my sleeves and give
> it a go?

I'm not aware of any working components, so feel free to have it a go.
We really need new qt/coreaudio components for all the xiph codecs, not
just flac.

Google turns up a couple of efforts you might want to check out/start
with/contribute to.

  http://damien.drix.free.fr/qtflac/
  http://radio.weblogs.com/0134505/categories/coreaudio/ (vapourware?)
  http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/ (vorbis, speex, mng, but no flac)