[Flac-dev] support for more than 8 channels

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 09:13:21 PDT 2004

--- Tobias Gehrig <tgehrig at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> The only problem is that our microphone array has
> 64 channels and FLAC apparently supports just up to 8 channels.
> So my question is if it would be possible to change that to support
> at
> least 64 channels maximum. I am willing to assist in the programming
> part, but since it seems that this would also lead to a format change
> the whole thing also depends on what you say about this.
> If it is not possible to change the number of channels supported, do
> you
> know an alternative?

yes, 8 channels is a hard limitation of the format.

channels are only grouped in FLAC to take advantage of inter-
channel correlation.  it's expected in this case when there
are a large number of independent channels that they are
coded separately and if required, muxed together in a suitable
container.

I don't know of any lossless codec that supports that many
channels per frame.