[Flac-dev] Basic Encoder Help

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 16:35:43 PST 2004

--- Andrew Gatt <andrew.gatt at cmatic.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been writing a basic encoder using libFLAC++. It seems to work
> fine, as in the resultant file is playable in any FLAC compatible
> player, however the compression ratio is very small - the main
> example being a 60MB file compressing to 54MB, i guess there's an
> option i've missed, but i cannot track it down. I was hoping someone
> could point it out for me:

looks fine to me... assuming when you play the file back in a
player that it sounds right.  if it weren't then the first thing
I would guess is that the byte order is wrong, which will ruin
the compression.

with LPC encoding on CD audio you usually want a larger block
size (flac -5 defaults to 4608, FLAC__StreamEncoder defaults
to 1152).  but that shouldn't make so much of a difference.

it could be something subtle with the conversion from bytes
to ints.  rip the data to a wave, then rip the data to flac
and decode to wave, then compare to see if their the same.