[Flac-dev] FLAC 1.1.1-beta1 released

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 16:30:01 PDT 2004

Since it's been so long since the last FLAC release I wanted to
have at least one beta before FLAC 1.1.1 comes out.  The usual
warning applies: do not use for archival.

The number of changes, fixes, and additions is pretty large.
The current changelog can be dug out of CVS:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/flac/flac/doc/html/changelog.html

Some of the big stuff:
- seeking support in Ogg FLAC, including seekable encoder/decoder
  interfaces
- callback-based metadata editing
- decoding speed optimizations for PPC thanks to Brady Patterson.
  decoding speed on OS X almost doubled.
- many fixes and a lot of new options people have asked for

Things that are still missing:
- final Ogg FLAC bitstream mapping is not quite finished yet, so
  it's OK to make streams for testing but they might have to be
  converted with official flac 1.1.1 later to be streamable in
  ogg tools
- some pending fixes to winamp2 plugins

I have not published the release to the FLAC site. For downloads
go to the sourceforge download page:

For this release I have broken up the win32 binary release into
two. The normal one just has binaries/docs and the -dev one has
the libraries/DLLs, include files, and API docs. The other
platform binary releases have only flac/metaflac and basic docs
since it's much more common to build them from source anyway,
or get RPM/Debian/Fink packages.

I ask you all to beat it up and let me know what you find.

Thanks to everyone who submitted patches, suggestions, bugs,
etc, and waiting for so long for them to see the light of day!

Josh

P.S. there is also a topic on HA:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24580