[Flac-dev] Blocking and compression.

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Fri Jan 23 06:52:01 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 18:29, Curt Sampson wrote:
> The problem is, a good number of these patents are in the hands of
> businesses whose business model and sole revenue source is to licence
> these patents. That makes them extremely disinclined to back down on
> them, and OSS projects (and a lot of commercial projects, for that
> matter) don't have the financial resources to fight the legal battle
> that would be needed to get the patent overturned.

Unfortunately, I'll have to concur with this point. Maybe just a range
coder option for now, and later I'll throw together an arithmetic
encoder thats NOT part of the "offical" flac. We can use it for a base
line comparison, have it as a module or something.

Btw, I found one project on sourceforge without even trying that uses
arithmetic coding. Googling for source shows a ton of projects, open and
closed source, across the net.