[Flac-dev] Blocking and compression.

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Mon Jan 19 07:33:03 PST 2004

Hello. I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm the guy that wrote kexis way
back when. For those of you that dont know, kexis was written before
flac, and pretty much does what flac does, although its not nearly as
nice or robust. I wrote kexis actualy cause I was interested in playing
around with lossless compression and shorten was about the only tool
that was linux friendly, but had a horrible liscense. So, kexis was
hacked together for my own personal use.

Anyways, I've got that lossless coding itch again, and I pulled out some
of my old notes on things I was going to play around adding to kexis.
The version of kexis thats on sourceforge was totally re-written later
for speed but I never released it. At this point its kind of silly to
release it since flac is just as fast now, plus its much more robust
(btw, nice job on it).

The reason for this post is I would like to know if I start coding again
and releasing patches agaisnt flac in various areas, if they will be
accepted. I'm not sure if these additions fit the "focus" of what flac
is meant to be, so I thought I'd discuss them first. Keep in mind that I
just subscribed to this list, so if these have already been gone over,
just slap me with a tuna :)

I believe the reason flac is behind some of the closed source encoders
is two fold: Blocking and arithmatic encoding.

Blocking: If the data set is local (not streaming) and we have the
opportunity to make a coupla passes on the data, its possible to
determine non fixed block sizes that fit orders of prediction closely.
I'm sure this is no surprise to all of you. Actually coming up with a
algo to do this is not as easy as it sounds. However, a few more % can
be squeezed this way jsut but fitting lp's I believe. Then again, maybe
not. Its depends if there are sharp shifts in the data set. If there
are, finding these "edges" could benefit because you wont have a block
where its encoding well, then goes all to hell because the predictor is
missing by large numbers, and takes a while to readjust. The downside is
not very large... scanning a data set and building a table of block
offsets would not add that much overhead to the encoding process as its
a lightweight operation (assuming i/o operations are moderately fast).

Arithmatic encoding. Rice's granularity for encoding is 1 bit.
(obviously) However there are techniques out there to encode fractions
of bits. Well, you can only encode down to the granularity of 1 bit, but
by doing a bit of magic, you get the net effect of being able to
represent fractions of bits. Over a large data set, this can save
hundreds of thousands of bits. I think this is where some of the closed
source encoders make thier large gains. The down side is that arithmatic
encoding takes more horsepower. Looking at some of the other encoders,
any of them that take alot of time to encode are almsot certainly
employing this technique. It might not be suitable for streaming, but
would be a very nice option for archival purposes.

Thats my 2 cents.

Wayde Milas
Rarcoa