[Flac-dev] What is "mid-side coding"?

Dr. Nick dr.nick at rogers.com
Thu Apr 15 01:05:04 PDT 2004

Hi all!  I've just gotten into the FLAC world, and have read most of the
documentation.  I have a question:  Mike Wren's frontend, upon looking at
the DOS command line it automatically generates, uses the "-m"
command.  This is for "mid-side coding for each frame".  What is
this?  Specifically, is this like the mid-side recording technique?  If so,
that means the audio file is being changed by flac, yes?  An explanation of
"mid-side coding" would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt