[Flac-dev] Suggestion for tagging flac w/ cuesheets

Christian Uebber uebber at web.de
Wed May 21 00:44:16 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'd like to make a simple suggestion for tagging flac files containing
cue-sheets.

As discussed in "cuesheets w/ PERFORMER & TITLE track info" there is no
standard for doing this yet.

The developers were not willing to adopt the integrated cuesheet
functionality for handling performer/artist information. I share this
opionion since that would mean to sacrifice a very flexible tagging system
for some static solution adopted from the CDDA world.

How would it be to just use tags like "TITLE1=Light my fire",
"TITLE2=Extinguish me!", "PERFORMER1=..." for cuesheet flacs? That would be
very flexible and would require no changes to the cuesheet handling system.

Of course one could say that there is no need for standardization since
everybody can handle this as he wants. But it would be really a big help for
developers to have some common line here. For example, I would like to
integrate album handling based on flac files w/ cuesheets into the GiantDisc
project (www.giantdisc.com). For us, it isn't really usable yet because we
do not want to integrate a proprietary way of tag handling.

Regards,

Christian