[Flac-dev] --until decodes rest of file?

Donald Gordon don at dis.org.nz
Thu Jul 24 04:27:11 PDT 2003

Hi

I'm having a seemingly odd problem with flac 1.1.0: when I decode a
large (CD size) flac file, using --skip and --until to extract a single
track, flac appears to continue to decode until it reaches the end of
the file:

donald at klatch:~/arch/loveovergold$ time flac -d -o - --until=+1048576 data.flac > /dev/null
flac 1.1.0, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

data.flac: done

real    0m45.948s
user    0m39.800s
sys     0m1.670s
donald at klatch:~/arch/loveovergold$ time flac -d -o - data.flac > /dev/null
flac 1.1.0, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

data.flac: done

real    1m3.983s
user    0m44.840s
sys     0m1.710s
donald at klatch:~/arch/loveovergold$ time flac -d -o - --skip=52920000 --until=+1048576 data.flac > /dev/null
flac 1.1.0, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

data.flac: done

real    0m23.943s
user    0m16.280s
sys     0m0.970s

As you can see, starting at the beginning of the file always takes about
the same amount of time, and starting later still takes a reasonable
amount of time to decode 1Msamples (~23s).

I'm guessing this is a bug :-)

donald
(please CC me replies, I'm not subscribed to the list)