[Flac-dev] perl, metadata and cue sheets

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 15:49:09 PDT 2003

--- Jason Holtzapple <jasonholtzapple at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am new to this mailing list.
>
> I am adding FLAC support to the SLIMP3 player

excellent... keep us posted.

> 1. Do any perl modules exist to read and/or write the metadata in a
> FLAC file?

not that I know of.  the metadata parsing is not too bad but
writing data back can get hairy.  probably the best thing to
do is to write a module that wraps around the various ways
to call metaflac.

> 2. What is the best way to "play" individual tracks for a FLAC with
> an
> embedded cue sheet? I think I can do this on the FLAC command line
> with
> --skip and --util after reading the cuesheet metadata, but is there
> an
> easier
> way?

on my TODO list are shorthand notation options for flac that
internally turn '--track=4' to '--skip=12312459 --until=45234623'.
but slimp3 users will probably want more functionality (maybe
skipping to index points or something) so it's probably best to
parse the cuesheet/streaminfo and write the options you need.