[Flac-dev] OS X compile errors

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Wed Jan 8 13:58:25 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:41:40PM -0800, Josh Coalson wrote:

> The ideal behavior in this case is for configure to be able to detect the
> presence of doxygen (easy enough), but then make sure that 'make clean'
> does not remove the docs if it is not possible to build them again.  I'll
> try something in doc/Makefile.am to do this.

I think the right thing to do is to only remove those files in the
maintainer-clean target, not in a normal 'clean'.

The GNU standards say this:

`maintainer-clean'
     Delete almost everything from the current directory that can be
     reconstructed with this Makefile.  This typically includes
     everything deleted by `distclean', plus more: C source files
     produced by Bison, tags tables, Info files, and so on.

     The reason we say "almost everything" is that running the command
     `make maintainer-clean' should not delete `configure' even if
     `configure' can be remade using a rule in the Makefile.  More
     generally, `make maintainer-clean' should not delete anything that
     needs to exist in order to run `configure' and then begin to build
     the program.  This is the only exception; `maintainer-clean' should
     delete everything else that can be rebuilt.

     The `maintainer-clean' target is intended to be used by a
     maintainer of the package, not by ordinary users.  You may need
     special tools to reconstruct some of the files that `make
     maintainer-clean' deletes.  Since these files are normally
     included in the distribution, we don't take care to make them easy
     to reconstruct.  If you find you need to unpack the full
     distribution again, don't blame us.

     To help make users aware of this, the commands for the special
     `maintainer-clean' target should start with these two:

          @echo 'This command is intended for maintainers to use; it'
          @echo 'deletes files that may need special tools to rebuild.'

And the automake manual says this:

   * If `make' built it, and it is commonly something that one would
     want to rebuild (for instance, a `.o' file), then `mostlyclean'
     should delete it.

   * Otherwise, if `make' built it, then `clean' should delete it.

   * If `configure' built it, then `distclean' should delete it

   * If the maintainer built it, then `maintainer-clean' should delete
     it.

With automake, this means removing the files in the maintainer-clean-local
target.

--
 - mdz