[Flac-dev] cd archival (revisited/again)

jason jason at doomba.com
Fri Dec 26 03:04:07 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 02:10, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, jason wrote:
>
> > after all, for my purposes, i'm just preserving information until such
> > time that a real system is devised, and then I'll convert.
>
> If you're doing that, why not just keep the toc file? I also grab the
> cddb discid and preserve that in a file.
>
> cjs

good point.  good point.  maybe making another wheel is a bad idea.

on the other hand, i can just throw the cuesheet and the toc and
everything else into the XML file.  it stays handy and i've avoided
using something which is specifically meant for describing a cd where
you could theoretically have anything.  For instance, i have some
bootleg tapes which would benefit from a place to store description,
cover art, and maybe lyrics.  the list goes on.  I'm living proof of
josh's point.

so what you need is something where a parser can go through and display
info without having already been taught how.  for instance you could
have a browser which would let you see everything available in XML file
for a given cd.  however, i guess for that to be workable, you would
need type information (differentiate a jpg of cover art vs song lyrics)
and XML is very weak on that.

need a nice typed container which is easy to parse and has versioning
built in.

it is kind of a yucky problem.

PS: the more i think about it the more i like the idea of storing the cd
front as a picture.  it would let you navigate your collection with
icons (thumbnail versions) instead of just text.  it might be cool.