[Flac-dev] cd archival (revisited/again)

jason jason at doomba.com
Thu Dec 25 12:22:00 PST 2003

merry christmas everybody.

i've recently begun working on a project to load my cds and i must say
single file flac-as-a-cd-container with an embedded cuesheet is
brilliant.  So i figured no problem.  rip, single file flac and then its
just a matter of playlists and such...  a nobrainer... but i keep
getting stuck.

ok, so what i set out to do is simple.  read cds into either pcm or
lossless compression.  but i want it to play nice with playlists (by
selecting song/album names).  also would like to take a defined playlist
and convert to lossy format flavor of the month for portables.  would
also like to have a small computer integrated into home theater system
so i can do digital audio out and IR remote control.  (playstation2
seems ideal except for the cost of linux).

ok, so nothing new, but i'm trying to do a good job, so i have a plextor
drive and so far i've only found one ripper that supports the plextor
perfect audio extraction - cdrdao driver=plextor-scan.  can't beat it.
you do 2 consecutive rips and md5sum's are the same.

this means i'm stuck with toc files and toc2cue seems a bit orphaned.
it created zero length cue files so i put a out.close(); in the
appropriate place and now it works, but the cue file seems kind of
minimal.  i would prefer to transfer all the info to the flac file if
possible.  is there a cuesheet syntax document someplace?

so next task is to add song titles and such.  (assuming single
flac-as-cd-container with embedded cuesheet), I looked all over and I
can't find anything which discusses vorbis comments where file is not
1-to-1 with track.  I read a little bit of xmms flac plugin trying to
see how it parses flac files but i didn't see anything.  is it supported
at all?

i would also be interested if anybody has any favorite playlist editors
which can deal with flac-as-cd-container and then batch encode to lossy.
(if everything works under linux that would be ideal).

sorry for all the basic questions, but i'm willing to do a little bit of
plumbing to get this to fly.  i just need to understand how it should
work...

if you got this far, thank you for reading my diatribe :)

jason