[Flac-dev] Improving on Rice coding

Miroslav Lichvar lichvarm at phoenix.inf.upol.cz
Sun Apr 27 06:49:10 PDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 01:12:34AM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:
> The residual coding method was interesting.  I guess I could
> try popping it in.  The litmus test really for new methods is
> 1) is it unencumbered by patents; 2) is it fast enough decoding
> to meet FLAC goals.  #2 is easy enough to verify; #1 is always
> tricky.

I have played with the coding a bit. I extracted residues and
appropriate sizes from some flac files, simulated encoding of
residues with the coding and compared sizes. I have choosen better
coding for every block, and overall improvements were about 0.3-2.0%.

However, decoding will not be very fast. I think it is possible to
speed up bonk implementation (with some additional tables), but
probably it will never be as fast as decoding of rice codes.

Josh, what is the limit for average (and worst) decoding speed?

--
Miroslav Lichvar