[Flac-dev] Accepted metadata format(s?)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Apr 24 12:37:04 PDT 2003

I've been using FLAC for just over two years now, and I've been on the
list for as long.

I asked in March of 2001 about ID3 V1 and V2, and learned that both are
supported.  However, since then FLAC has moved to being an Ogg project,
and the Vorbis comment field seems to be more capable.  More than once, if
I recall correctly, I've read Josh Coalson cursing his support for ID3
tags.

So, what is the "official" way to tag FLAC files with (at least)
Artist/Author and Title/Name information?  Is it ID3V2 still it, or has
that become deprecated?  Does the XMMS Plugin (the only FLAC "client" I
need to support my metadata, for now at least) support reading Ogg
comments?  Are they "Better"?

So, can I switch to Ogg comments?  Would it make Josh feel better if I
did?  What would it break if I did (i.e., XMMS plugin)?

Thanks, Josh, for a splendid audio encoding.

-- Asheesh.

--
Zounds!  I was never so bethumped with words
since I first called my brother's father dad.