[Flac-dev] cuesheets w/ PERFORMER & TITLE track info

David Collett jg at webone.com.au
Wed Apr 23 15:56:10 PDT 2003

I made a similar query some time ago and the resonse was that the CDTEXT
format is rather complex and ugly and diffucult to encapsulate fully in
FLAC (plus adding variable length strings to the CUESHEET block
complicates it somewhat). However I feel that some attempt should be
made all the same.

I have provided my previous posts on the topic at the end of this email.

Incidentally, it is quite easy to impliment your own application
specific method for storing song information in a flac-cuesheet file,
one idea is with the humble vorbis comment block, and make it look like
a CDDB entry, heres an example:

DISCID=b30b9f0c
DTITLE=Foo Fighters / There is Nothing Left to Lose
TTITLE0=Stacked Actors
TTITLE1=Breakout
TTITLE2=Learn to Fly
TTITLE3=Gimme Stitches
TTITLE4=Generator
TTITLE5=Aurora
TTITLE6=Live-in Skin
TTITLE7=Next Year
TTITLE8=Headwires
TTITLE9=Ain't it the Life
TTITLE10=M.I.A.
TTITLE11=Fraternity

No special programming is required to produce a file like this, you can
do it with the flac and metaflac binaries, and as long as your
application understands the fields, all is well.

However an agreed upon standard for putting this stuff into the CUESHEET
block would be much nicer IMHO. I suggest NOT supporting the CDTEXT
standard itself, but rather the simple subset that the CUESHEET de-facto
standard uses, ie. PERFORMER and TITLE etc.

I guess I could have a crack at doing this myself, but I'd rather not
without the support of the main developers because if they dont actually
want this feature, it will never be commited anyway.

Any thoughts?

Dave